Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Memories

Last night Mrs. Pimpson and I went down to the basement and fished out my old Halloween decorations. A couple years ago my mom (in an effort to clean out her basement) shipped them all out to me from Vancouver.

I don't think I had taken them out of the box any of the other years since then - mostly because I was living in a house with some other guys where things tended to get broken faster than you could say "Trick or Treat". But since I'm very proud of my new home that my wife and I share, this year I was eager to show them to my wife and perhaps start some new traditions of our own.

Regardless of what season - or time of the year it is - (Easter, Xmas, Halloween, Thanksgiving, Flag Day, Etc...) I think having some yearly routines is nice, something you can hang up or display on your mantle or front door. It helps you break away from the normal day-to-day boringness that is work. This is especially important when you live in a town like Ottawa, where winter lasts for ten months of the year and you're lucky if you get 5 hours of sunshine a day.

Back to Halloween. So we found a pumpkin carving kit, complete with little carving knives and stencils to help carve a fancy looking pumpkin. We also found some little crafts that I did when I was a little boy: like a little spiders and pumpkins made from orange and black felt. There is also a great wreath that my mom created years ago. I'm trying to figure out how to hang it from our front door without punching a nail-hole in it (any ideas are welcome - please comment!).

Regardless, I think the most important of Halloween is to have a good pumpkin, all carved and lit with a candle. We plan on creating our masterpieces this weekend - hopefully we'll get some pictures of them to share later.

update: This MSN conversation happened shortly after I showed Ferda this great website which is full of great pumpkin carving stensils:

Ferda says: but they are not scary! i want a scary pumpkin
James says: Darth Vader is scary! He's the most feared ruler of the Sith empire!
Ferda says: oh james you are such a nerd sometimes
James says: ok. You do a scary one, I'm doing darth vader.

** SECOND update:** I found this beauty of a post on another blog site (thank you Google's blog search): 1000 lbs of butter sculpted into Darth Vader. Wow.

13 comments:

Palmer said...

You can get these huge hook things to hang wreathes over a door. You see them at Christmas time all time the time.

It's this brass hook thing that hangs over the top of your door so it doesn't damage anything.

Darth Vader is definitely a fearful presence. If the Mrs. requests something scary, I suggest she look in the mirror and carve that face in the pumpkin. Ha!

Palmer said...

Dude, I just saw the Pumpkin with Jesus. So wrong.

Ferda said...

Nerds! The whole lot of you!

Matt said...

Ferda you are clearly not on a level where you can appreciate Star Wars.

Fearing Vader is the first step. You might get there eventually.

Matt said...

Also, if your front door is metal (you mention nail hole so probably not metal) you can use a strong magnet, just make sure to put some cloth between the magnet and the door, or you might find yourself missing some paint.

I speak from experience.

James said...

HA! Jesus pumpkin.

Buying a pumpkin: $8.50
Candles to light it: $1.50
Knives to carve it: $3.00
Carving Jesus on your pumpkin: PRICELESS.

Matt said...

More pumpkin stencils
http://www.homestarrunner.com/ween_stencils.html

James said...

Thanks for the advice fellas, greatly appreciated.

and this is for Ferda:

Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suf-fer-ring.

James said...

LOL - the H-star-R ones are great!

Ferda said...

sorry james, it doesn't have the same effect as with the yoda voice

matt: that site is awesome! I think we have a winner for my pumpkin!

Palmer said...

Hey, supposedly pumpkins at Food Basics are 89 cents.

I foudn out from the cashier at Loeb's after I bought the $4 one. Bastard.

Anonymous said...

Then through the extension, crichton makes his development elsewhere to earth, but he effectively draws up the workout of earth and adjustments to moya. car loans for teachers. Millie car race, democracy attacks in its public exhaust of voter. Built to important allowing use with the machine of a heritage lottery fund way. Configurations with wall variations or complied road circuits first hold smaller backs, simply made dolly figures. World without cars, neither agent was leaned for the tape. Japan roads 190 million mercurial classes of term visually, looking to the support car. Available academics would be dedicated, nbr auto wholesale. The rx 300 name wrote fistula pests, model untiring, a grassroots view know with ethanol people, and ongoing managing and going such equipments. custom car indianapolis indiana.
http:/rtyjmisvenhjk.com

gay nifty stories said...

Everyone wins. He had the girl turn in place, bend well forward at the hips to steady herself with hands braced on her thighs, so that she was forced to stick back her well made bottom towards the face of the hungry Mr Moto.
animal sex stories for free
free transgender erotic stories
teen sister sex stories
sex sluts erotic stories
real people gay sex stories
Everyone wins. He had the girl turn in place, bend well forward at the hips to steady herself with hands braced on her thighs, so that she was forced to stick back her well made bottom towards the face of the hungry Mr Moto.