Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Thanksgiving Weekend Re-cap by Day-o

I know James is super busy today so I figured I'd post for the day. He's going to DR you see and he has quite a few loose ends to tie up what with work and school before he leaves. I am going to miss him so much but I'm so happy for him. He deserves some time off.

Our weekend was pretty lazy. We relaxed for the most part. We finally got cable on Saturday. My eyes were glued to the TV after not having had cable for over a year. It will be nice to keep me occupied while James is away. Another thing I will be doing lots of while he's away is playing We heart Katamari. Now I am not one for video games but this game will keep me occuppied for hours. The object of the game is to roll up anything you see into your katamari to make your katamari as big as possible. See image to the left. This is a delicious katamari cake which I found while searching for an image online. Yummy! Whoever created that is a genious. That's the cake I want for my birthday. James get on that!

I realize now that I've digressed... I was talking about our weekend... where were we? Oh yes, Sunday. Ryan and his girlfriend Vero, whom I got to meet for the first time, invited us to go hiking with them. Ryan: your girl is such a doll, I am totally taken by her! It took us a while to get to the hiking trail in the Gatineau mountains but Ryan got us there. We started the hike and I was holding up pretty good at first but after a while I was crawling on the ground. It was brutal! The sights, however, were gorgeous. Autumn is just amazing here. Seeing all those trees in their glorious colours was pretty cool. We took some photos but I have yet to upload them.

I loved not going into work for Monday. Our good friend Mel invited everyone over for a pot-luck Thanksgiving dinner. She had 2 turkeys for all 20 of us. She is definitely the hostess with the mostess (?) We were very spoiled. I made frosted pumpkin squares which were amazing. I put them out after the dinner and I turned around for a second and they had vanished. I was flattered that they were so popular. Here's the recipe for anyone who is interested:

Frosted Pumpkin Squares
Prep time : 10 min.

Can be made ahead of time and frozen.

1. Beat 4 large eggs, 2c. sugar, 1c. canned 100% pumpkin (without spices. This is what I used --> http://www.edsmith.com/web/html/site_pages/products/pie_fillings/pure_pump.html), 2/3c. cooking oil, 2tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp salt (I also added 1 tsp. of ground ginger).

2. When completely mixed add in 2c. flour, 1 tsp baking soda, 1 tsp baking powder.

3. Put into a greased 10x15 pan and bake at 350F for 20 minutes (I had to bake for longer than this. It's a good idea to take it out and stick a knife in the cake to make sure it comes out dry before letting cool for frosting).

Icing

Beat 1/2 c. cream cheese, 6tbsp of margarine, 2 1/2 c. icing sugar*, 1 tsp vanilla, and 2 tsp milk (if needed.. I didn't use it) and voila. Frost the cake while it's slightly warm.

*We didn't have icing sugar and we were going to go to the store to pick some up and my mom called and I told her. She suggested we put some regular sugar in the coffee grinder and we'd get icing sugar. I'm sure it would work in a blender or food processor as well. Just a tip.

3 comments:

James said...

Nice cake, sucka

Vero said...

Yeah, weekend was awesome!

Thanks for the recipe Ferda! Definitly going to try that out, ummmmm delicious! Too bad Ryan doesn't like pumpkin...

Oh well, more for me! :-)

Mrs. Pimpson said...

the pumpkin taste is pretty subtle. I'm sure you can not tell him and he wouldn't even know.