Thursday, October 06, 2005

To add to the previous post about weather


I think it's quite interesting that the leaves here in Ottawa are changing their colours. I always assumed that the trees only would change if the temperature fell below a certain degree. But since it's been so warm here lately, hardly a normal, cold, fall day - I would expect all the leaves to still be green.

However, they are in fact changing. As I looking out my window right now, I see bright reds and magnificent yellows hanging from the maple trees.

A friend of mine told me that perhaps its not due to the temperature that the leaves change colour, but due to the shortening of daylight. As we get closer and closer to the blahs of winter, each day gets shorter and shorter. So perhaps the trees can sense this lack of daylight and they know its time to change.

Interesting, no?

No comments: