Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Ode to Nimmy

My first pet was a cat named Nimrod. We called him Nimmy for short. Not really sure why my parents chose to call him Nimmy, seeing as Wikipedia.org states a nimrod, among other things, to be an American slang expression for a stupid or obnoxious individual.


He was a pretty cool cat, or so my Dad tells me. I only remember so much about him since I was a young boy at the time. My Mom was always certain his breed was Maine Coon.

He was a big cat.

I do remember one neat thing he used to do, if you left a glass of milk on the table, he would dip his front paw into the glass, and then lick the milk from his paw. He would drink water the normal way, licking it out of a dish or whatever, but he did this neat thing with milk only.

I now feel sorry for this cat: I likely gave him a really hard time. I probably used to pull his tail, chase him around the house; I bet I was a real, mean kid to that poor cat.

Where I grew up we lived real close to mainland Vancouver forest area; these areas are populated with lots of wild animals, including coyotes. When the day came when Nimmy didn't come home - we assumed the worst and said goodbye to him.

7 comments:

jamesmo said...

aw, sorry man.

James said...

no apologies necessary, this was 20(?) years ago...

Ferda said...

nice going james you made jamesmo cry!

jess said...

I bet you forgot that he also used to eat the food off the BBQ grills, really impressed your Grand Ma when she was over for dinner! Ode to Nimrod.

James said...

Oh yah! I do remember he used to get up beside the BBQ, and lick the juices and fat off the grill.

Ha...

Anonymous said...

Surely Nimrod was a handsome Greek God! Try another dictionary/lexicon! Jack

James said...

I said, "amoung other things..."

:-)