Thursday, January 05, 2006

This morning, when I put on my pants, I ...

... was in the bedroom. I had just gotten out of the shower. The time was probably 6.45, and the shower felt good because I had just finished 30 minutes on the elliptical machine in the basement. While I burned about 350 calories, I watched SportsCentre on TSN to catch myself up on the scores and highlights from the night before. Some of the greatest replays were Vince Young taking Texas to a big victory at the Rose Bowl over USC. The final score was 41-38. Also - the Raps pushed their winning streak to four games, something that doesn't happen that often.

After pulling on the rest of the day's wardrobe, I descended the stairs into the kitchen to grab a glass of OJ and 1/2 a bagel. 2 minutes later I was lacing up my two boots to head outside and start shoveling. This.Took.Thirty.Long.Minutes. Now I am very tired after completing about 60 minutes of strenuous activity all before 8.30 am.

Now, for the challenge of the day: if you add up all the numbers in the text above, what is the total? Write your answer in the comments.

17 comments:

Ferda said...

show off!

I'm joking. Thank you so much for doing the shovelling. I appreciate it immensely!

Matt said...

I vote for 570.25

JamesMo said...

I say: 496.25

James said...

jamesmo, you've got it. 496.25

AquariusDragon said...

Shovelling.... I just keep getting deeper and deeper in it.... Anyone want to have a shovelling party in my driveway?

Matt said...

6.45 +
30 +
350 +
41 +
38 +
four +
1/2 +
2 +
Thirty +
60 +
8.30
=
570.25

Matt said...

Please explain 496.25

Ferda said...

i got 437.25
wth

Ferda said...

matt you missed the 'two' in lacing up my two boots

Ferda said...

it should be 572.25 imo

Matt said...

Damn your right, at least I didnt miss as much as the TWO James'

JamesMo said...

Oh yeah. I can count the best. They used to call me counter. People would come from miles around to hear me count things. 21 lightbulbs, 2 burnt out, 1 flickering. 86 bricks in a pile plus 1 mouse.

Then one day, it all changed... I was asked to count the grains of sand on the beach - a simple task, but alas, I failed to account for variances in sand density. My count was off by 1.00667repeating percent. I was devestated. I could no longer trust my counts. How many shoes did I own? 2? Had I considered the shoelace factor? I turned to drinking, drowning my sadness in counting the number of bottles of cheap whiskey I had drank.

I was spiraling out of control, my days were numbered, but I didn't care to count them anymore.

Then, out of the darkness of no account, a voice spoke to me, saying "Verily JamesMo, you are the greatest counter of all time. Why hast thou forsaken the count? Thou knowest best of all that the count hast great importance; for verily, whom other than you can count the number of clouds in the sky? Forsake not your calling!"

After I sobered up (12.43 hours later), I began to count the problems with the speech above. Reinvigorated, I set out once more to count all things of importance.

James said...

ok, here's the explanation:

6.45
30
350
41-38 = 3 ***tricky part
4
0.5
2
2
30
60
8.30
= 496.25

I got tricky by throwing in the minus sign.

Kevin said...

Well I'm pretty sure both of the James' made a small error... they did not include any roman numerals in their answer!

Not only are there many "i"'s included in this numerical post, there are others!

For example, the so called "letter" J (in OJ) in the medivial ages was used to represent the final "i" in a large number! And so the mystery of the numbers continues...

AquariusDragon said...

Hey, how many shovels does it take to have a shovelling party? I guess we'll find out tonight in my driveway.... who's in???? Any takers?

James said...

oh mel...

Ferda said...

just because you call it a party doesn't make it so.