Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Attention all shoppers!

So the other day I was as wallyworld and I bought a box of splenda which was marked as $4.50. I paid and was walking out the store when I looked over my receipt and realized that I had been overcharged $5.99 for the splenda. I went back to the store and had them look into it for me. So the girl at customer service goes to the rack where I got it and comes back to confirm that I'm correct. She then proceeds to give me the difference which is where I say "HOLD UP MISSY!". What about all the inconvenience of waiting in line at customer service to deal with "YOUR" mistake. I know that certain stores have a scanner error policy where they will give you the product for free if you can prove it got scanned at a higher price than advertised. Sure enough wallyworld is one of these stores. She said she can't put the policy in effect unless I bring it up which is BS if you ask me. Luckily I knew of the policy. Sure enough I got my box of Splenda for free.

So yesterday I was back at my local wallyworld. Why do I keep going back to that place and it's messed up scanners, busy aisles, annoying customers who like to shop in packs?!?!? Oh ya... cos I'm a cheap-o...

Anywho... I saw my favourite saputo brand mozarella on sale for $6.50 and I picked one up along with some other items. So I'm back at the till and I'm watching the scanner like a hawk this time. So, the cheese scans at $8.99. I tell the checkout guy and he makes an announcement to have someone near the food aisle give him a call. Meanwhile a huge line is forming behind me but I'm determined to stick to my guns on this one. Sure enough I'm correct once again and I tell him of the scanner error policy which I would like to have him apply to my cheese. They even had a notice about it right beside his register. He had no idea about it but he obliged and I got me my free cheese.

I guess the reason I'm telling you all this (at the expense of fessing up to the fact that I'm a wallyworld-goer) is so that you know that as a shopper you have rights and that you should pay attention to what you are being charged. It is so easy to not pay attention and not want to inconveniance other shoppers while you are in line but it's not right that you be charged more for something you thought would be less. You may think it's a small difference but it adds up. It is certainly not uncommon that this happens (both incidents occurred to me within 10 days). Employees manually enter values into scanners and are apt to make mistakes, it's normal. Oh and I believe it's not just wallyworld who has this policy. I've had the same thing happen to me at a shoppers once as well. Just be a smart shopper and know your rights. Ok I'm done my PSA. Y'all have a nice day now!

9 comments:

skeeter said...

Thanks Ferda!
I'll be keeping my eyes out, I didn't know about that policy...

James said...

GO FERDA!

Kevin said...

Where in the world is there a store called "WallyWorld"???

Way to stick to your guns though! The same thing happened when Katie and I were shopping at Sobey's. Free $15 razor blades! Woohoo!

(I had my mom go back the next day, sure enough, more free blades!)

Ferda said...

wallyworld = walmart

hmmm kev maybe I should send james back to the store for splenda and cheese! Unfortunately the razor blades I got for James were scanned at the right price though - boo!

AquariusDragon said...

Mmm, cheeeeese!

Thanks for the advice! I knew about the policy but never really enforced it probably because I don't pay attention to prices being scanned but from now on, I'm a hawk-eye!

pollcrazy said...

ijust goes to show how little attention that we acutally pay to the bill after we pay!

Palmer said...

Did you really say 'HOLD UP MISSY'?

James said...

probably she did.

David said...

Sounds like someone has a serious case of Stickittodemoneosis!

I was overcharged for a box of Ferrero Rocher's the other day at the Independent Grocer at Bank and Alta Vista - does they have the same free product policy? We should all go there in a row and get free stuff ;P