Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Adventures in cooking


I haven't had a lot of opportunities to cook lately. It's something that I definitely enjoy doing but between ultimate and other social happenings it has been tough to find the time. Besides lets face it, as far as I'm concerned it's still BBQ season which barely counts as cooking (c'mon even James can BBQ!).

Monday we had a makeup ultimate game but it didn't start till 8:30 so I had a few hours between work and the game to work in the kitchen. I took that opportunity to prepare One Loaf to Love, a meatloaf roll-up recipe stuffed with cheese, mushrooms, red peppers, onions and zucchini, from my beloved Eat, Shrink and be Merry cookbook.

While I had the oven nice and hot I quickly whipped up a batch of cookies. I made Cranberry Hooteycreeks a recipe that came recommended by the delightful Mrs. Jen whose tastebuds have yet to fail me! This is a great oatmeal cookie recipe. It has got cranberries and white chocolate as well the recipe calls for pecans but I only had hazelnuts on hand and, dare I say it, it tasted better with them than it would have with pecans.

In other cooking related news... Yesterday while I was doing a little surfing I came across a gem of a website. It's called Binnur's Turkish Cookbook. It features authentic Turkish recipes with very easy to follow instructions and photographs of all the scrumptious dishes. I'd recommend it to anyone who is looking to try new tastes. Great big thanks to lovely Binnur for putting the site together. I've added a link to the site on the side menu as well in case anyone else is curious to try some exotic Turkish cooking. I've already printed out a few recipes to try out on my guinea pig, uhhh I mean my darling sweetheart, James.

13 comments:

James said...

I love eating Ferda's cooking. It's always great! Best part is, there's no hesap!

Çok güzel Ferda!

Ferda said...

canim seni cok seviyorum!

Anonymous said...

I would love to try some Turkish food! Since we share the same tastebuds and all, I figure anything you like I will too. Be sure to let me know which of those recipes are winners (and which ones even James won't eat).

Matt said...

Ferda, is that turkish for "Everyone is invited over for my turkish cooking on Sunday?"

James said...

lol

Ferda said...

heehe matt you're sneaky! It actually says "I love you my life". Not to worry though I'm planning on making some goodies from that site for you boys' poker night on Saturday so you'll get a chance to sample some of my Turkish cooking then :)

Jen, I'll definitely let you know as I try out the recipes. I'm going to attempt the Halfmoons with Feta Cheese recipe for Saturday.

Anonymous said...

Oh my! I just went to Binnur's Turkish Cookbook site. You didn't say there were PICTURES! I'm drooling already. Yum.

*drool*

James said...

yes!

Ferda said...

Jen, you blog post skimmer I did too mention there were photos!

James said...

blog post skimmer, that's a new one...

Anonymous said...

You had me at "Turkish Cookbook". I must admit that after that I was too distracted. You know how I am with food!

Ferda said...

alright I'll let you off the hook this time :)

AquariusDragon said...

Ferda, you rock at cooking!! Wish I took more time to cook but lucky for me, Mike G keeps me well fed...