Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Cable Guy!

So a few friends of mine from the blogger community have been weighing in lately with their opinions and questions on cable tv. So I figured it's time for my $0.02 - here goes.

First things first: can you really put a price on cable tv? I don't think so. Regardless of what the bastards at rogers want to charge you, and regardless of what options you get, there is one fact that holds true: you are getting cable tv - which is a great thing. Do you not realize how many countless hours that can be wasted from sitting in front of the idiot box? Plenty. And do you know how many great shows are on cable tv right now? Tons. I'm talking 24, Lost, The Office, Simpsons, Family Guy, and lots of other quality programming. And don't even get me started on how hooked we are on Coronation Street lately. I swear, we watch that show religiously every Sunday morning.

So, my main point is this: squeeze whatever deal you can out of rogers, but then suck it up and pay the bills/connection fees, 'cause cable tv is worth it my friend.

Now, I do have a second point as well, and that is: cable tv may not be a necessity if you have high speed internet and a video ipod like some of you do. This is a decision that you need to make on your own, based on your priorities. I think that even if the Pimpson had the internet and a computer, we would still pay for cable tv as well. As you know, they have the internet on computers these days, and you can download all your favourite shows. Except for maybe Coronation Street, due to it's extremely small fan base in North America which is comprised of only two people: me and Ferda.

And finally, my third point is this: everything is negotiable. Especially, with a large, mega-bucks company like rogers, you can get them to throw credits at you like Bill Clinton throws around singles at a strip club. Just call in, speak with a customer service rep, and make up some story like: "Oh, I didn't know there would be a installation charge?!" or "The guy I spoke with before, I think his name was Pedro, didn't mention that this deal was only good for four months!!" Hold your ground, wait the 15 minutes while they speak to their 'supervisor', and get the credit back on your bill. It's worth the fight, 'cause nine times out of ten you will win.

12 comments:

Palmer said...

Uhhh...you guys should definitely get back into the Internet world at the home. Just think of the blogging you can do!

Plus...computers. Them so cheap nowadays. Hello $350!

James said...

ya. you're right. and as I've said before, it will probably happen pretty soon.

skeeter said...

no worries....I plan to keep working some kind of deal...I just wish I could get any information without feeling like I was pulling teeth.

Like seriously, how hard is it to say "here are the channels included in this package which costs $X", what exactly is the deal with "this package is $X and includes channels X, Y & many more!!" I want to know if the channels I want are included in that package...not be forced into paying for the most expensive one, just because it has everything :-(

Not to mention that the packages & pricing I looked at before have apparently just disappeared from their website....

James said...

people who work for rogers are jerks.

no question about it.

:-)

mr_jeff said...

i'm with you on many points, james. i don't watch as much television as i once did, but the comfort of knowing that it's there for me whenever i need keeps me smiling.

however, i will stick up for the rogers folks. one night of drinking led to an unexpected appearance on a front door balcony, chatting with a team of rogers customer service reps. surely they had been drinking too, and after an exchange of humorous jabs at rival bell, one of the reps took my cell phone number and prompted to give $50 worth of credits on my next cell phone bill. now that is cool... and stickin' it to the man at the same time!

mr_jeff said...

skeeter, communication companies change their packages and price plans all the time. this includes cell phone packages. and this is not limited to rogers. bell, telus, and fido run the same business plan.

Matt said...

Hey!!!! (James)

James said...

hahahahahaha

skeeter said...

Oh, no worries...I am aware that these things change frequently, and with all these companies...this just happens to be the most current reason to vent about it ;-)
Besides, my frustration lies more with the inability to find any useful info on their website. Maybe it's just me.

Anonymous said...

I don't know about Rogers in Ottawa but in parts of BC Shaw have a really good package of Intenet, Cable and phone service (free calls all over canada and US and Europe) all lumped together at a good price (even after the introductory 3 months offer)- might be worth looking at Jack

Izzy said...

We actors don't get a lot of Theatre (Professional) till we get "really" famous - but we live and breathe our Theatre (Professional) regardless. Theatre (Professional)
Isobella
http://www.isobella-lawrence.com
Like your blog :o)

Matt said...

spam alert!!