Thursday, January 11, 2007

Eleven Days into 2007

Amazing that today is only January 11th. Seems like a LOT has happened since the beginning of the year.

New job for me: things are really starting to pick up now. The first week was pretty slow - I guess the reason for that was that many of the managers I will be dealing with in this new job were away on holidays for that first week. Now I'm starting to get invited to meetings with different managers, discussing different projects in terms of fiscal and non-fiscal resources. These kinds of meetings are new to me, everyone uses a lot of acronyms that are unfamiliar to me. Later, when I go home at night, I repeat them all to Ferda and she catches me up. :-) She really knows her sh*t when it comes to the world of business.

New Tv: Man - I love this new tv. Trying to be really careful for the first 100 - 200 hours. Even though the new plasmas they come out with now aren't as likely to get 'burn-in' as, say, plasmas built 5 years ago, I'm still baby-ing it. You can sometimes see some image-retention when a static image is displayed for a while. But it can be removed easily by displaying full screen tv for a while - it also has a 'white wash' feature which helps to repair uneven phosphor wear. I've used it for about 5 mins here and there as a preventative measure. Perhaps I'm being too paranoid about this possible burn-in, but I really don't want to wreck my brand new baby. Once it's about 3-4 weeks old, I expect I will have passed the 100 hour mark, and it'll be safe to be more liberal with my viewing. For now though, I try to limit usage. Ferda thinks I'm too protective. :-)

Ultimate: I mentioned yesterday that winter ultimate would be starting in a couple weeks. WRONG! It starts THIS Saturday! Ferda and I are very excited about this. The name of the team we are playing against is TBD. Ugh - great. No help there. Hopefully we school them. Nothing better than winning. Darryl, our captain for this team, loaned us a dvd of Furious George (a comp. team from Vancouver). The dvd has an awesome hi-light reel and shows crucial parts of all their games leading up to the nationals in Florida. Watching that dvd drives me nuts. I want to get out there and play so bad. And these guys are frickin' good. Every catch is practically a lay-out; there's even a few callahans and greatest points (sorry if you don't know what I'm talking about)! Ferda's kind of into the dvd as well; at least, I know she's excited for this weekend's game. She said something cool while we were watching the dvd; it was during a quick interview with the captain of Furious after a tough win. Of course he was talking in ulty-speak, so Ferda said to me:

"It's amazing. I know exactly what he's talking about. And it's SPORTS!"

This holds very true. If you know Ferda at all, you might recall that she doesn't know much about sports in the least. In fact, you might even remember this conversation after Ferda was invited to a Grey Cup party:

"Grey Cup? What is that? Golf?"

10 comments:

Palmer said...

Question: Let's say you do get burn-in on your TV and you can't get it out. Is that your problem? Or would the company be nice and replace it? Or do they make you very aware of the fact that they will do no such thing?

James said...

Good question.

You'd have to be pretty lazy to get some serious burn-in that couldn't be fixed with the white-wash.

I mean, most common burn-in problems arise from watching 4:3 standard def tv on the true 16:9 widescreen surface. When you do that, you get the black bars 'cropping' the image on the side. Know what I mean? So say you watch a lot of tv like this, that's bad, and could result in uneven phosphor wear on the sides where those black bars are always present. But I didn't buy a widescreen tv to watch images in 4:3 ratio anyway, you know what I mean? So that's not really a problem for me. I would rather stretch the image to fill the whole screen. And the Tv engine has a whole handful of modes for stretching and zooming different resolutions of images to fill the full screen. It even up-converts standard def signals to be displayed at a higher resolution.

What concerns me the most I think is long gaming sessions, > 4 hours, say for example you are playing Grand Theft Auto: Vice City for PS2, and the little radar screen is ALWAYS in the same spot in the lower left corner, a big, bright, pink circle. That could be bad. Or even old school Mario Bros leaves the same number of lives and score and coins info at the top in the same place. Know what I mean?

In terms of warranty: uneven phosphor wear is the owner's problem and responsibilty to be aware of it. However, if a pixel dies, that's the products fault, and therefore it can be returned.

[hope that all makes sense]

James said...

Hey - I wonder what Ferda thinks the SuperBowl is? :-)

Palmer said...

Yeah it makes sense. Do the LCD screens have burn-in at all? I'm thinking no?

Video games are pretty well the worst culprit. I'm surprised that the black bars ...wow, I just not realized that all the years I was writing culprint, but the spell check just showed me it's really culprit. Huh. Never knew that.

Anyhow, I'm surprised that the black bars actually burn in because I just automatically assumed that black on black doesn't make a difference. But I guess it's not really black on black.

James said...

I know nothing about LCDs to be honest. I knew I wanted a plasma due to where we were putting the TV (basement). Apparently LCDs are better for rooms with more natural light. So when I did my research, I focused on plasmas only. I bet Matt or Ben would know...

My guess is no about burn-in for LCDs considering most PC monitors are LCD and they don't burn in.

Ferda said...

culprint?? I believe we have a hollyism!! :-)

Matt said...

It's called image persistence on LCD's,
Because of the way LCD's are they don't burn.

From what I read, you would have to leave your monitor on 24x7 for a looooong time for anything to happen. And even then you would probably be able to display a flat white image to get rid of it.

warrenyeung said...

i thought i read somewhere, that plasma screen tv's weren't good for video games, but LCD's were fine. i just did a quick google search and found conflicting info. any ideas?

Artoo said...

James, what kind of TV did you end up picking up?

I missed a few conversations here...

You don't have to worry too much about burn-in with plasmas nowadays... there are some conflicting info pieces on the web but it's evolved quite a bit in the last few years...

my plasma screen even has this little gaming mode where it shifts the screen by one pixel from time to time when you play so that it isn't as prone to displaying the same image all the time in the same spot when gaming...

Kevin said...

Be careful with the games. I just realized that my brother managed to burn the Halo 2 radar into my folks 52" rear projection tv... needless to say I'm not happy (not my tv, but I don't like noticing a little yellowish radar in the bottom corner!!!)

Granted, he played for hours a day EVERY day for like a year. A few GTA sessions or Mario and I don't think you'll have a problem.